UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Thread: Spriting.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Spriting.

I want to create my own custom character with his own attacks and backstory. However, I suck at spriting. Any lessons on making sprites or pixel art that anyone could provide me with?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: Spriting.

sry cant help you

Uploads
    Comments

best thing first: forget about spriting, draw.
    observe the other spritesets/sheets and study the way how sprite-animations work (reccomended: kof94 sprites, don't aim for better quality sprites such as sf3), remember that professional sprites use at least 3 people: one draws the sprites, one colors them, the other one makes other fx (such as anti-aliasing and other improvements).
    so step away from directly spriting for now. first learn to draw because pixel-art is just a drawing/painting technique.

you can try anyway to make your own sprites without drawing first, but they will look pretty lame.
    instead, if you spend some time free drawing frames (like the character in different position) you will learn later how to paint those frames in pixel-art.

or better, if you're going to make high-res sprites: you can draw the character spritesheet on paper, scan it, color it, adjust it with a custom palette and that's it, you have your sprites. but first, it's important to draw, a lot. drawing makes your brain get used to making images with another media such as the mouse for sprite-art. when you get used with the idea of your char, anything will be more simple.
    Last edited by mulambo; 31st December 2016 at 18:00.
    check my MUGEN creations at [emanuelepepi.tk]

Uploads
    Comments

So for a beginner in spriting you sugest to create simple sprites draw and for now to avoid high ress spriting.
    By the way are there any usefull programs for a beginers in spriting ?

Uploads
    Comments

Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp... any software is good as long as it provides palette customization.
    High-res spriting would eventually be simpler than low-res, it depends on the style, quantity of colors and level of palette customization.
    You can start with simple outlines of the drawing (sketch or directly 1px line), fill the drawing with color, add shadows, add anti-aliasing or fix details with custom palette.
    There are tons of examples about the basic technique on google.
    but... as the mouse is a difficult device for drawing (unless you're reaaally used to it), it's always suggested to draw with a pencil the outlines (or with a tablet). so the basics of drawing, before spriting, are always reccomended.

just like with girls, you don't directly ask them to have sex. you talk with her first :P just kidding
    Last edited by mulambo; 1st January 2017 at 17:50.
    check my MUGEN creations at [emanuelepepi.tk]