UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is mugen dying?

Uploads
    Comments

Default is mugen dying?

how long will mugen live?

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: is mugen dying?

As long as 90's kid survives.

Uploads
    Comments

Who knows. Hopefully for as long as possible. Some things slow its progress though. Take creators and editors who don't share their work. And no, I'm not debating the right to do so. And I'm not talking about anyone specific. No one is truly obligated. Though, MUGEN being an open group project means it will only live as long as its fans' interest. So I think something like that is counter productive in general. Like a scientist not sharing discoveries.

nah! mugen cant die.

The joy of mugen is a multi franchise game. When people refuse to play with that ability, they lose a huge chunk of the fun.

Uploads
    Comments

As long as we have fans, the kids of the fans should carry it on, hopefully. Dedicated people will always still be around even if an entire community isn't I'm sure.

mugen cant die, the "NSFW" stuff is what keeps it alive.

The joy of mugen is a multi franchise game. When people refuse to play with that ability, they lose a huge chunk of the fun.

Uploads
    Comments

Creativity in MUGEN is dying. MUGEN itself is getting bigger but is typically recognized as a childhood memory to outsiders and in their own point of view, MUGEN is dying.
    A place for people to get together and share their original created work.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/MUGENTamamin/index/

I wouldn't say mugen creativity is dying, I would say the opposite is true, I've seen some extraordinary stuff in the past few years from very diverse creators. It all depends where you're getting your mugen. Some places are kinda dead and aren't sharing like they used to while others are sharing a lot and have very active communities.

As for mugen itself, it was suppose to die 10 years ago when Elecbyte went away and mugen was nothing but an unfinished prototype with very limited capabilities. later it was hacked and still managed to survive despite it being very buggy, it refuses to die. It's more popular than ever and that was the reason why Elecbyte even came back in the first place to finish what they started.

It's not gonna go anywhere. When mugen flourished, there weren't many outlets to begin with and yet it still grew and it was done via e-mail/youtube. Even if you kill all the forums and communities, it'll still go on somewhere. The fans keep it going. The only issue is some content tends to go out of circulation because of web hosting failures and PCs failing. Thanks to places like Mugen Archive though a lot of this stuff you just can't find anymore or anywhere else is still here for years to come. XD

My works history is all but gone just about everywhere online despite my friends/fans and my best efforts to preserve them but mugen archive saved everything I did plus everyone else's stuff.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by A x ◿ View Post
    I wouldn't say mugen creativity is dying, I would say the opposite is true, I've seen some extraordinary stuff in the past few years from very diverse creators. It all depends where you're getting your mugen. Some places are kinda dead and aren't sharing like they used to while others are sharing a lot and have very active communities.

As for mugen itself, it was suppose to die 10 years ago when Elecbyte went away and mugen was nothing but an unfinished prototype with very limited capabilities. later it was hacked and still managed to survive despite it being very buggy, it refuses to die. It's more popular than ever and that was the reason why Elecbyte even came back in the first place to finish what they started.

It's not gonna go anywhere. When mugen flourished, there weren't many outlets to begin with and yet it still grew and it was done via e-mail/youtube. Even if you kill all the forums and communities, it'll still go on somewhere. The fans keep it going. The only issue is some content tends to go out of circulation because of web hosting failures and PCs failing. Thanks to places like Mugen Archive though a lot of this stuff you just can't find anymore or anywhere else is still here for years to come. XD

My works history is all but gone just about everywhere online despite my friends/fans and my best efforts to preserve them but mugen archive saved everything I did plus everyone else's stuff.
    I get my MUGEN from MugenArchive and Youtube. Hell MF FA or M F G wouldn't even allow me to contribute to their forums (I didn't even do anything!) and from what I saw, yes there was a lot of great creativity using IPs of course but the amount of -swaps, self characters, cheap edits, daniel clones, copypasta coders and the Ryus, Donalds, Gokus, Marios etc. outweights the actual creative aspect of MUGEN. Sure, they've ALWAYS been around but not so much to the point where they're literally everywhere 2014 onward.
    Last edited by Megaman; 6th December 2016 at 02:05.

Uploads
    Comments

from being mugen 9 years ago and coming back, after a hiatus, seeing characters that are way better developed since then, no it seems bigger than ever atm to me, its my game. i get power to change whatever i want. it will always be here to those of us who truly enjoy it. its like mods, if one person continues, then it cant die. i pass it on regularly to people.

also, i am feening to create original characters and stages, tho time constraints restrict me, in the future, i hope to be a large creative force in this community. sprite rip for the win

Uploads
    Comments

very unlikely,
    even if its popularity drops, it would never truly die.
    the sheer amount of content that you cant have in any other fighting game will keep it alive for a long time.

the lewd stuff helps too.

Uploads
    Comments

I don't think mugen will. When it comes down to fighting games in general, there are many which would probably make you rage quit, or some that has crap that you can't access because your not throwing enough money at it, or because devs changed their mind. As mugen grows and get more advanced, it will have it's own versions of such and have these new characters. If it sticks around for nothing else, for people to be able to play as their favorite character in their favorite types of battles.

Not to mention mugen can be that game you can just access at anytime without any real restraints. And if your creative enough. Make your own and with their systems, your pretty much golden. Every character can be of every type. We talking of an engine that you can take someone like Jigglypuff and make them dbz themed. Or taking one punch man characters and putting them king of fighters themed. With a engine that has everything in control, while it may not be big, it will be a while before it can be considered dead.

It's only drawbacks is the separation things, people holding cool characters and stages. People stealing them, etc. But it's overshadowed by things like this where people get together and share and do a lot more to keep the community going instead of leaving them either drooling, or upset about things.

Uploads
    Comments

While there is still stuff being produced here and there, I think interest in MUGEN in general is tapering off a bit due to the sheer volume of junky, glitchy and broken characters. Not to say that there isn't still some cool stuff out there for those who are willing to find it, but the reality of MUGEN is in many ways, a little disappointing compared to the hype that first came along with it. There's also the fact that the community tends to be a bit vitrolic in general, especially towards amateur programmers, and that's not going to help our growth any time soon.

Uploads
    Comments

Yeah I certainly think its silly to say it will die or that it is dying. Mugen is consistently attracting new people and we never know when an awesome author will just show up. From good artists making all new sprites to outstanding edits, I think its best to say its almost eternal as long as an interest in fighting games remain.

Uploads
    Comments

hooray mugen :p

Indeed XD

Also that was a good point, unlike other professional gaming companies (also not trying to take away what they do) there is something that mugen can do that they just can't and that is change completely at any moment.

Mugen has the advantage of being any game you want. I don't see that advantage dying out any time soon. No other console game is update-able and customizable like mugen is. If you can't afford MvC3 well you are in luck, mugen has these elements of the game all ready available to you to where you can build your own version and the way you like it to. If you didn't like M.O.D.O.K. in MvC3 or She-Hulk then they don't have to be present but you wanna have Goku and vegeta in that game, well you can have them in 100+ different styles.

Also no other game can give you the ultimate crossover where you can have Scorpion, Barney the dinosaur, Ironman, Ryu, Bugs Bunny, Nightmare, and Homer Simpson all in the same game. Mugen is simply put, the best fighter of all time, even despite its issues and disadvantages.

Several new outlets to have gained the engine even more fame in recent years such as popular youtube channels featuring fan games of mugen and major internet blogs taking notice as well as social media campaigns having an affect in the game's future.

It's almost like Nintendo, it's just gonna be around forever because people can't get enough of it. Well mugen has Nintendo and more, NO, WAIT, it HAS EVERYTHING!!!

Uploads
    Comments

I don't believe MUGEN will ever die. Not at all. MUGEN will live on, just as long as we're making new content for it.

Uploads
    Comments

Considering there are obscure or abandonware PC games found and played in DOSBox, and then uploaded to YouTube to be viewed by the public, I think MUGEN is just as likely to stick around for years to come. I discovered it over a decade ago and it's still alive in 2016/2017 so I think that says something about its inherent longevity.

Uploads
    Comments

what about the platform games made with it? bethesda kept there engine, unreal engine? mugen is just a tool/graphics engine for creative expression, its art, the same as the other two.art doesnt die,

True art is eternal-Sasori of the red sand

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by deedara69 View Post
    what about the platform games made with it? bethesda kept there engine, unreal engine? mugen is just a tool/graphics engine for creative expression, its art, the same as the other two.art doesnt die,

True art is eternal-Sasori of the red sand
    Bethesda's engine was Gamebryo during Morrowind up until Fallout 3. Not Unreal. They updated it (I think) for Skyrim and Fallout 4.