UPLOAD, SHARE, PRESERVE MUGEN FOR ETERNITY!
a missing category? request it here.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Uploads
    Comments

Sad No download weekend: Where it passed and where it failed

A REPORT OF SORTS

Alright, so we're now what most people would call 'knee-deep' into no-leech weekends. It is, currently, the biggest source of drama on the site. I want this to be something of a report on what's working and what isn't with this event, and tell basically everybody who's new here why we're doing things like we are. I have an idea or two on how to make things work more smoothly, but I really want feedback from the entire community on this. If you have an idea on how to improve the system we have, please, tell us. We at the forums here would really welcome the input.

REALITY AND WHERE WE ARE NOW

Bandwidth isn't free. It sucks, because for most of us we get this alongside many hundreds of other websites, 24/7, and to see one restrict features seems relatively unfair, as most of your other content lacks such restrictions. But at the heart of it, this website doesn't have the resources to let everyone download as much as they want, at least not until some old, rich monopoly guy with a heart of gold donates four grand. If you aren't said monopoly guy, the only ways to get you to pitch in, in exchange for downloading tons of content for free, is to post five messages on the boards of at least some quality, and more if you feel the need. this approach has positives and drawbacks, which I'll go over.
    FAQ: It's pronounced 'Jay-jay-jacks'. It stands for Jingaling Jaxmont Jaxxon. It has nothing to do with the cool bionic arms guy from Mortal Kombat. I have normal meat arms like other normal humans, and I find it suspicious you're so curious about the composition of my limbs. My location is hidden because thousands of Kula clones are currently after me since I know the meaning of life. The meaning of life is live fast, die young, and fill half the screen with a giant beam super. Just FYI.

Uploads
    Comments

Default Re: No download weekend: Where it passed and where it failed

THE BEST OF TIMES

Now, I want to discuss the silver linings, perhaps the more rose-tinted option. A lot of people new to mugen are now on this forum, and seem actively interested in talking about stuff and learning about mugen, whether they've known it a while or it's new to them. This is a very positive outcome, and judging by the sheer number of people who have started discussing things as of late on the boards, this is a good sign. Since a large number of people use this site, it is only natural to assume plenty will stop and listen if you have a good reason. I think plenty of them will stick around, too, just to discuss what is a pretty unique game engine with a massive library of content. I'm happy to see this, but alongside the intended effect there are some snags.
    FAQ: It's pronounced 'Jay-jay-jacks'. It stands for Jingaling Jaxmont Jaxxon. It has nothing to do with the cool bionic arms guy from Mortal Kombat. I have normal meat arms like other normal humans, and I find it suspicious you're so curious about the composition of my limbs. My location is hidden because thousands of Kula clones are currently after me since I know the meaning of life. The meaning of life is live fast, die young, and fill half the screen with a giant beam super. Just FYI.

Uploads
    Comments

THE WORST OF TIMES

Most of the complaints about the no-download weekend are from one of three camps. You have a foreign-language demographic, confused that downloads just stopped. I think we could have a wider array of languages for the foreign-language boards. Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese, Italian, and French are all pretty common around these boards and the mugen community as a whole. We should have some spot for each of these languages, since people are waaaay more comfortable if they can speak with others that converse in dialects they're familiar with.

The second camp is the inconvenienced. They're used to a service for free, which establishes a precedent. Due to shortage, part of this service is restricted at certain times. Posting five times on a forum where you know nobody and aren't too interested in posting in the first place can seem pretty daunting as a sudden demand. An idea for a solution to this would be a questionnaire, something asking how people found out about mugen, what fighting games they like, what they're into, etc. It not only allows for easy filtration of spammers, but most people like to share things about themselves and their interests, and people can keep their answers brief. Perhaps after this introduction post, downloads are enabled. Also, people tend to react better to rewards than restrictions. At five posts, enable more download capacity. Ten posts. fifteen. Do something similar for comments and uploads. Minor, incremental increases to allowable daily downloads would definitely get people at the very least interested in posting comments or small reviews in order to gain more. Sure, the default download limit will be fine for a lot of visitors. But those that want to do more daily can take the initiative and are incentivized to do so.

The third camp is those that truly think this is the last straw, and have had it with this website telling them they have to do anything. Sure, you have a right to be pissed. A service you got for free was shut off. That always sucks. But there just isn't anywhere else with as much content as we have. If you're looking for something quick, you can certainly look for other people's mugen creations and builds. There are large compilation packs available via torrent that don't involve this website at all! There's plenty of creator sites and even a couple other archives out there. The point isn't to stick with us. It's to keep getting your mugen somewhere. Because more people in the community at large ends up with more content, and that isn't bad for anyone. No hard feelings (unless you're an ass, but I mean, most people aren't asses by nature).

Uploads
    Comments

IMPROVEMENTS FOR EVERYONE

Basically, the community is a new one, and some of it is angry (and even rightfully so!) but we're always looking for ways to improve, and we want to know how YOU think this site can improve, both me and the actual team behind this site. I'm a leecher who somehow became support staff overnight, and I just want everyone to have a good time and not quit mugen because of a community call that was out of line for either side. Community is what keeps mugen alive, and we need people to participate or else this whole thing falls apart. We all came here to see Freddy Kruger beat up on robocop, right? It's a game, a fun game for people who like fun games. You like fun games? So do we. Come talk to the forums and you'll totally get in on one that's different from anything retail, and you get to pick who's in it. You'll love it. :)

Uploads
    Comments

I've been into fighting games for a few years but only into fighting games seriously along with being apart of the fgc for the last 6 months, mugen is completely new to me. Yesterday I was filled with frusrtation when I opted out of this site because of the download leech thing only to find that other sites would lead me to dead links or dead urls. Now I sit here trying to think up BS to post just so I can see the game. The leech thing makes sense to me since you want your community to grow and I really like your questionnaire idea. If this site really is the best then I am happy to try to become part of this community as I learn more about mugen and start messing around with it. However I can not give much input at the moment since I know so very little about it and have not been able to get my hands on a copy. Also I was unable to find a donation button, I would love to donate to help keep the site alive if it is as good as it leads me to believe.

-Edit, I have found the donation button
    Last edited by shoe55; 23rd April 2016 at 19:31.

Uploads
    Comments

Thanks Jax for making this thread, and thanks shoe for the donation, however I would like to clarify a few points.

This event was not started to raise funds, nor because of the limited resources. It's true resources are never unlimited, this is a fact, a site like this one requires a dedicated server (which costs around $250 per month afaik) but that's not the point of this event.

The point is we would really like to improve our community, increase the interactions and have people socialize around here. With so many silent users, sometimes we feel like the site is just unfairly considered as a file repository when it is so much more than that. It's entirely built to offer a great social experience. At some point the site could be really hard to browse because the former server was overloaded, so that could be understandable back then, but we have fixed these issues ever since, the site is fast and smooth, the number of visitors has doubled, we are the second most visited MUGEN site, yet there's still an overwhelming majority of silent members. This is not fair, at all. And this event was started to right this wrong, nothing more nothing less. I can tell because that was my idea, even if other staff members helped me ever since (huge thanks to Left4Joker & JJJaxx for their invaluable help).

Uploads
    Comments

Well, I thought the point of the event was to passive aggressively start drama, because it's well known the term "Leech" has had an extremely negative connotation within the Mugen community since its early days. It carries an accusatory tone that people who haven't posted are doing something wrong. If you wanted participation out of silent members, you should have called it something like "community weekend", made an obvious visual change somewhere in the portal that some event was going on instead having people come in confused wondering why they can't download anything, and had some kind of reward for those who made the most contributions(upload-wise and post-wise). Not only did you have people get frustrated, then you had a staff member calling these confused and saddened members "lazy" for complaining about having to participate.

That was just some of the things wrong, you had an opportunity to create a better sense of community here, instead you made it clear you were barring people for not contributing to the site and made them feel bad for not doing so even if gaining the ability to download could have been easily remedied with participation.
    Last edited by Mr. KOtik; 24th April 2016 at 18:52.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. KOtik View Post
    Well, I thought the point of the event was to passive aggressively start drama, because it's well known the term "Leech" has had an extremely negative connotation within the Mugen community since its early days. It carries an accusatory tone that people who haven't posted are doing something wrong. If you wanted participation out of silent members, you should have called it something like "community weekend", made an obvious visual change somewhere in the portal that some event was going on instead having people come in confused wondering why they can't download anything, and had some kind of reward for those who made the most contributions(upload-wise and post-wise). Not only did you have people get frustrated, then you had a staff member calling these confused and saddened members "lazy" for complaining about having to participate.

That was just some of the things wrong, you had an opportunity to create a better sense of community here, instead you made it clear you were barring people for not contributing to the site and made them feel bad for not doing so even if gaining the ability to download could have been easily remedied with participation.
    Really, you think we would want drama for the sake of drama?

There is a notice to lurkers telling them about the ongoing event and linking to the official thread. You just can't see it because you're not a lurker.

I will however take notice of your suggestion and try to make it sound more positive next time. Although it won't make a difference to foreign language speakers who will still be confused. (anybody could submit Japanese, Spanish & French translations?)

I doubt it will make much of a difference to troublemakers either. But I have learned how to deal with them with a global ban on open proxies and a few other tweaks so there should be much less troubles next time.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Really, you think we would want drama for the sake of drama?

There is a notice to lurkers telling them about the ongoing event and linking to the official thread. You just can't see it because you're not a lurker.

I will however take notice of your suggestion and try to make it sound more positive next time. Although it won't make a difference to foreign language speakers who will still be confused. (anybody could submit Japanese, Spanish & French translations?)

I doubt it will make much of a difference to troublemakers either. But I have learned how to deal with them with a global ban on open proxies and a few other tweaks so there should be much less troubles next time.
    I don't know Japanese, French or Spanish but if you want I can translate it to Italian for you, I don't know how much it would help but if I can be of some use just tell me which text I have to translate and I'll give it a try.

Uploads
    Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I don't know Japanese, French or Spanish but if you want I can translate it to Italian for you, I don't know how much it would help but if I can be of some use just tell me which text I have to translate and I'll give it a try.
    Please yes, enjoy instant promotion for your very kind offer.

Uploads
    Comments

Please yes, enjoy instant promotion for your very kind offer.
    Thank you, the translation is inside the spoiler, i had to remove the emoticons and links because I still don't have the priveleges so you will need to add them back yourself:

Cari leecher del MUGEN ARCHIVE, oggi diamo inizio ad un nuovo evento: il NO LEECH weekend.
    Fino alla fine della settimana, i leechers non riceveranno amore.

Se credete che sia ingiusto, pensateci un attimo, pensate che sia giusto che distribuiamo oltre 15,000 file al giorno eppure oltre il 95% dei membri non hanno mai partecipato al sito. Come può essere più giusto che ci siano più membri innativi che post?

Il MUGEN ARCHIVE è più di un sito per scaricare, è una community.

Quello che ci aspettiamo è che partecipiate al sito un pochettino (non necessariamente uploadando qualcosa, anche solo commentare va bene), e presto sarete promossi al gruppo New Challengers, e non solo otterete di nuovo il diritto di scaricare, ma anche molti benefici extra.

Però, per favore partecipate positivamente. Post spazzatura, diatribe e un comportamento negativo in generale vi faranno semplicemente bannare, e se succede, peggio per voi, quindi fate i buoni.

In fede,

-diz

Nota : Nonostante i requisiti per venire promossi non siano pubblici (per evitare che si possa barare), sono molto bassi e basati sui post nel forum, commenti ai file o upload di essi. Le promozioni sono automatiche ma ci potrebbe volere qualche minuto e/o richiedere un logout e fare di nuovo il login.

Uploads
    Comments

Greetings to you all.

I came across a useful website before hand, and i used it to make a Spanish tutorial.

Has anyone mentioned a site called SYSTRANet?

Uploads
    Comments

im but sorry but im only here for Characters and stages i came here each day to see whats new with Characters and stages

Uploads
    Comments

Seems fair to me..

Uploads
    Comments

I've actively been building upon my own mugen and had been successful for about two or three months now. Since I am an SNK lover most characters are based from KOF/Fatal Fury/Samurai Shodown. I just came here to download Hon-Fu yesterday and discover I am obviously a leecher and I am sorry if that may have hurt this community. I am not deliberately a person who is too busy to communicate with people or participate in forums. When I first came here I simply got the idea of the site that it was a community that would "preserve for eternity". And it has been doing so very constructively; more than any other mugen suite I had been to. I am very thankful for this website.
    However, I did notice a few things that it is lacking, and that is a lot of BG music. So, since I had taken so much, allow me to oblige in giving back by being a new uploader in giving some music. I promise to continue being more active in this community and I want to enhance everyone's mugen experience with the gift of sound.

- - - Updated - - -

I fully understand the encouragement for people to get involved- people who should communicate with each other simply about what we all love- the thrill of fighting games! On this part I completely agree, that people should come together to meet on forums, talk, learn from each other and share their input. It is a great step in bringing us all together from all over the entire world of fighting games, and not just who likes Tekken and who likes Street Fighter. MUGEN had reinvented the enjoyment of fighting games and had fully awakened the endless potential of not just fighting games, but the potential of the human spirit within the wonderful authors from which characters are made.

To be honest, I'm one of your leechers you despise so much, and don't get me wrong, I understand your reasons for this no download weekends, I know that bandwidth is not for free and you have to do something about it.

But I'm also part of the "foreign-language demographic" and already member of a different Mugen Community where most of the time, I don't have much to say.

And that is the main problem here, many of us "leechers" are just gamers, we are happy when we can download and play some stuff, many of us are no "playtesters" who download a char and later make a post about how accurate the hitboxes on char xyz are or something like that, and often people like me have problems to even find a topic where we can post something relevant.

And even if you guys had good intentions with this event, and tried to get more people to join the community you like, you also almost ruined it by labeling Gamers and people who maybe found this site for the first time as "leechers".

I hope I made clear what I mean.

Uploads
    Comments

I agree I just got into MUGEN and I just want a quick game, but then the biggest provider just decides to boop it all up :/

Uploads
    Comments

I think that its a great way to make the community participate and speak out.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, exactly the same happened to me

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I wasn't offended by it, "leacher" and "lurker" are very similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I'm officially that guy. Whoops

Uploads
    Comments

Cool Re: No download weekend: Where it passed and where it failed

I hope there servers are cheap :V

So everyone don't have a stressful server.

Have fun in the weekends inactive users :)

This event was not started to raise funds, nor because of the limited resources. It's true resources are never unlimited, this is a fact, a site like this one requires a dedicated server (which costs around $250 per month afaik) but that's not the point of this event.

The point is we would really like to improve our community, increase the interactions and have people socialize around here. With so many silent users, sometimes we feel like the site is just unfairly considered as a file repository when it is so much more than that. It's entirely built to offer a great social experience. At some point the site could be really hard to browse because the former server was overloaded, so that could be understandable back then, but we have fixed these issues ever since, the site is fast and smooth, the number of visitors has doubled, we are the second most visited MUGEN site, yet there's still an overwhelming majority of silent members. This is not fair, at all. And this event was started to right this wrong, nothing more nothing less. I can tell because that was my idea, even if other staff members helped me ever since (huge thanks to Left4Joker & JJJaxx for their invaluable help)
    For this, I'm 100% agree. I will say than I was one of those silent user but now, i think I will become more actives and comment everything I download.
    Last edited by Antogames; 12th August 2016 at 16:08.